A commentary on my experience of soccer in China
First, I had to get new shoes. We went to the sports store this weekend, and after reviewing the selection for about 5 minutes, I realized that all of the shoes were made for men. I'm not sure why I'm surprised, I'm still the only girl that's played on our team, or any opposing teams. I successfully asked in Mandarin for women's sizes. The employee was super apologetic, but assured me that there were still beautiful designs in the men's sizes. So not the point. The smallest size was still an inch too long, but they work. And they aren't neon colored so I'm happy :)
Soccer here means that every half time is actually a smoke break. All of our Chinese players light up while we're in our huddle. Recently we've been playing against other pick-up teams in Beilun. None of them ever believe that there is a team of "laowai" or "foreigners" here. But here we are. They often come visit us at half time and smoke. Awesome. We can't really say anything to them. So we just sit there quietly while they smoke. Exactly what my lungs want while they're gasping for air.
Since we've been playing actual games, we've been wearing jerseys, sometimes we share the jerseys around with the subs. I of course get to keep my jersey on if I come off the field. One of the players as he handed off his jersey and came off the field had an undershirt that said FBI: Female Body Inspector. Haha. You wish :) Sometimes I wonder if they know what their shirt says.
I'm finding that subbing is very different for men. Being the only girl on the team, I think that when I stop putting in my fastest effort, that it's time for a small break, catch my wind, and be ready to give someone else a small break. Men of course, can't come off the field until they're "done" playing. This soon becomes a competition of who has the most stamina and can last the longest on the field. Forty minutes in, I'm finally the first to actually call for one of our two subs. I hadn't realized this unknown gender rule yet, but when I went off, EVERYONE was concerned that I was hurt. Why else would I go off the field so 'early'? Hmmmm .... maybe because two of our other players would also like to play? Maybe?
Soccer here is an artistic mix between american football and basketball. American football because they often going into a tackle with a stiff arm. Yeah, that's not allowed. Basketball because everytime their feet get clipped, they promptly fall to the ground, give a good yell, and actually try to scoot backwards to act like they fell really far. This is very laughable since grass is not as slippery or scootable as a court. Luckily, after seeing me take a head-on collision, the "tough" standard had risen for the game. Unfortunately that was later in the second half.
In reference to the amount of fake feet injuries, it is my opinion that if your feet are actually that sensitive, you should not be playing soccer at all. Either that, or you should be wearing ankle/shin guards. Just saying. I had taken several hard hits throughout the game, and I of course, having not been actually injured, bounced back up. I was getting lots of compliments for being "strong" and "tough". One time I accidentally clipped the foot of a repeat-offender-of-fake-injuries. He of course put on his act. We were in a big group fighting for the ball, and I don't think he realized it was me who had clipped his heel. Every player, from both teams burst into laughter as this guy sat writhing on the ground. He looked up to see it was me, and his face ... I can't describe it. It was just too funny, he was so embarrassed since he wasn't actually hurt, for the first time all game he refused to take the foul, which I admit was legitimately a foul. I kicked him and not the ball. But really, buck up sir!
No comments:
Post a Comment