Monday, March 18, 2013

To Stick Out .. Or Not to Stick Out

It's obvious that I stick out in China. Any foreigner does, really. And the daily reaction to us foreigners can definitely go to your head. Lara and I have perfected our princess waves as we ride our bikes with Jett, and the Chinese stop to stare in awe. It really does feel like you are a celebrity. People stop me in the grocery store and ask for my picture. I like to be friendly, but then that girl runs and grabs all her friends, and suddenly I'm taking ten individual pictures with people, followed by several versions of a group photo!

I'm still trying to figure what they end up doing with the photos. Is there some hashtag on Chinese Twitter for, @sawaforeignertoday!

Here is one example: We were hiking at a local park with our friends Lisa and Fan (on the right). We decided to take a picture with the statute that has been dubbed "Mulan's Father". We waited for our turn, and then posed with the statue At the last second, several more Chinese people excitedly ran into the photo. No idea who they are.




The following weekend we went to the beach, laid out our towels and just relaxed. A group of maybe 12 Chinese walked by and just stared. Two minutes later one finally had the courage to come back and ask for a photo. We nodded, and she signalled the whole group to come over.

 
Sometimes I have zero patience for it, like when I was on the field trip this last Friday. Those five Chinese people who individually put their arms around me and took turns flashing their peace signs at the camera definitely had a very stony-faced, red headed laowai in their photo. I mean, it's obvious I'm teaching when we all have our school uniforms on! And I'm not really sure the point of the photos. But for the most part, I invite them all over and smile for the camera. I figure that a more positive interaction with a foreigner is better than a grumpy one, right? Especially when I could be their only interaction with a foreigner, I want to give a good impression.

The one time I actually didn't stick out happened to be on my way home from school. I had my books and computer in the front basket, my soccer bag clipped on the back, my purse was over my shoulder, and I was carrying a culligan-like water dispenser on my handle bars. My bike was loaded! And I felt very talented that day as I got home without crashing. That was also the least I had ever been stared at in China. I guess the more things I am capable of piling on my bike, the more I blend in? I looked just like everyone else on the street for once.

But I guess that wasn't the only time I didn't stick out ...  As many of you know that I was hit by a car last week. Always have to be careful and watching out there! Now that Lara and I live a 20 minute walk from the school, we are having a lot more daily interaction with culture, and traffic. Even though I've been here a year and a half now, I've had a lot more "firsts" in China lately, since Lara and I are the only laowai who live in our complex. For better or for worse, hopefully a lot more new cultural experiences to come! Just today, a man in our building communicated using charades signals to Lara in the elevator that he was very excited to meet the second foreigner. Should be an interesting last few months!

No comments:

Post a Comment