Monday, August 20, 2012

A Day in the Life of School

These kiddos are having a little difficulty saying my name. For the most part, they no longer say TEACHER! So that's good. So, here's what they've come up with so far:
- Miss Lanham. Trying to pronounce it normally but tripping over their tongues.
- Miss Lemon. I gave them this clue, since two years ago, my Spanish speaking kindergartners couldn't pronounce Lanham either, and Lemon was just easier.
- Miss Lan-ham. Since there's an /h/, apparently it must be heard.
- Ham. Your name has Ham! That's in a book. Hey! Miss Green Eggs and Ham!!



We were going discussing even and odd numbers, I was letting them talk it out before we created a rule.

Me: "The number 1, odd or even?"
Elf: "Odd, because it's not fair."
Me: "It's odd, because it's not fair?"
Elf: "Yes, it's not fair. If you have one candy and two kids, you cannot share it. 1 is odd."

Later, we created a rule that said, all even numbers end with 2, 4, 6, 8, 0. And all odd numbers end with 1, 3, 5, 7, 9.

While I was being silly, I asked, "So I could have a number like a gazillion and million and two. According to our rule, would that number be odd or even?" Before anyone could answer, my one little Chinese elf in the back, who rarely says anything at all, looked at the number with all the zeros in it and said, "That's not a gazillion and million and two. That's one billion and two." I counted the the zeros. He was right.


Also, look out. Pandora is no longer kid friendly. I was listening to the music while my elves were at Mandarin class when an ad came on, "How is your sex life?" And then it when on in great detail about ways that I can improve it. Pandora needs a school friendly option! Oy. Can't imagine if the kiddos had been in the room. I know I'm normally rooting for their comprehension in English, but that is one time I really hope they would have no clue.


Getting Spoiled:
A lot of people have said that you get spoiled when you live here. Many of us went home for the summer, or moved to new countries this year and had this realization. We all pamper ourselves differently. Manicures, pedicures, facials, massages ... but I prefer the hair salon. Love getting my hair washed! Alice has translated for Peter before, and he says he's too afraid to do anything dramatic with my hair, like a hair cut. One of the other teachers has been wearing a hat this week. Apparently she went in for a routine cut, and came out with bleached yellow hair, only a giant chunk in the back. Ahhhhh.


It's a flower pot!
Erich was told that he could no longer have his cast iron "Cup O' Joe" fire pit out in front of the cafe, which is shame since it was a really neat gift from one of the factories that makes pieces for oil rigs here. But as you can see, it's no longer a fire pit, it's a flower pot! The guards said, "Okay." and walked away. Apparently the same thing worked with the BBQ.





No comments:

Post a Comment