Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Raising a Nation of "Little Emperors"

I'm finding myself a little peeved with the way the parents and grandparents spoil their children here in China. They:
- put on their shoes, socks, and zip up their jackets for them.
- spoon feed them all meals
- pull their pants both up and down to go to the bathroom
- and give in to pretty much anything if their child is screaming.
It's not a hard fast rule, but I notice a HUGE difference between my Chinese nationals, and my foreign students in terms of independence. My foreign students can figure out buttons and zippers on their jackets. My national students still haven't figured out velcro shoes. It hurts a little inside!!

My assumption is that, since the One Child policy was instated, China is raising a generation of "little emperors". Nothing is too expensive, no whim or want too small. They do EVERYTHING for their children here, because they only have one child, one opportunity to show their love. And that child is precious to them. I understand that, but does China really understand the type of people they are raising? An entire nation of entitled emperors will likely cause problems in the future. Just saying...


One entertaining interaction in the block center - My ELL and I were busy building racecars. I guess my racecar building skills/knowledge aren't quite up to par.
Me: "That looks like a fast racecar."
Elf: "No. That one fast racecar. This one is slow."
Me: "Why is that racecar faster than this racecar?"
Elf: "Because it ate pretty flowers."
Me: "Oh, I see."
Elf: "Yours is not a racecar. Please?"
Me: *I offer him my 'non'-racecar*
Elf: *Proceeds to take apart the racecar I built, put it together in a different way, and offer it back to me* "Now it's a racecar!"

At snack time, the kids eat the weirdest looking things to me. Seaweed is actually very popular. At first, I thought I understood why the kids don't eat at lunch time. I wouldn't eat that either! It looks funny! But if I pick up the fork, they open their mouths expectantly. Oh little emperors! Anyways, whenever I see something new or different, I ask the kids what it is. Sometimes they give me the Chinese name because an English name doesn't exist. But that doesn't mean we can't try ....
Me: "What's that called?"
Elf: "So yummy."
Me: (I double check just to make sure I heard right) "Oh, that's called,  'so yummy'?"
Elf: "Yes." *devours snack*

At recess, I watch over the whole early years program, so sometimes I help negotiate problems the that kindergartners encounter. Wendi has taught them the High/Scope way of solving problems, and I only step in if things get off track. I was watching 3 kinders discuss who the red ribbon belongs too (end-of-the-world problem solving here!) when the discussion got quite heated so I stepped in.
Elf 1: "It's mine!"
Elf 2: "No, it's mine!"
Elf 1: "No it's mine! I found it!"
Me: "Okay [Elf 1], if it's yours, where did you find it?"
Elf 1: "I found it in Elf 2's hand."
Me: ................................. *uncontrollable laughter*


Check back tomorrow for tuctuc adventure pictures. I meant to post them here tonight, but it appears I forgot my sim card at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment